This Week in Digital Humanities and Pedagogy

Each week, a member of the JITP Editorial Collective assembles and shares the news items, ongoing discussions, and upcoming events of interest to us (and hopefully you). This week’s installment is edited by Laura Kane.

Greetings! This is my first Weekly Roundup, and I suppose that it symbolically marks the beginning of my time as the Managing Editor of JITP! I am thrilled to be joining the JITP collective and feel very fortunate to follow Leila Walker in taking on this new role. Leila has been a fantastic Managing Editor and a driving force behind the journal’s identity. She has been a terrific guide these past few months, and I cannot thank her enough for all that she has done to help me prepare.

A little bit about me: I am a Doctoral Candidate in Philosophy at The Graduate Center, CUNY. My research interests include social and political philosophy, social ontology, and philosophy of education. For the past three years I have been a GC Digital Fellow, working in collaboration with other Fellows to bring more digital initiatives to the Graduate Center.  My most noteworthy project as a Digital Fellow involved initiating, curating, and managing five semester-long workshop series over five semesters.

A screenshot showing the scheduled workshops organized by the Digital Fellows.

Figure 1. Workshops organized by the Digital Fellows.

I have also developed and designed websites for various initiatives and departments at the Graduate Center, including the Fashion Studies website, the Advanced Research Collaborative Commons, the Provost’s Digital Innovation Grants website, and many others. Additionally, I have developed and designed a website for the Social & Political Philosophy Working Group, a workshop group that I have co-chaired for the past two years. Currently, I am in the process of collaboratively developing a syllabus repository-of-sorts called CUNY Syllabus Project. The CUNY Syllabus Project aims to be a robust resource that provides ways to search, compare, and visualize syllabi across institutions, disciplines, and departments, with a long-term goal of facilitating interdisciplinarity in teaching materials. I’m sure that I will have more to say about this project as it develops (for now we are in the early stages), but please do visit our site and submit a syllabus (or two)!

A screenshot from the homepage for the Syllabus Project. The text reads: Welcome to the CUNY Syllabus Project! With your help the project will become a robust resource providing a way to search, compare, and visualize syllabi across institutions, disciplines, and departments. As you and your colleagues upload their syllabi, the project will become an evolving database of syllabi with contributions from graduate students, faculty, and adjuncts. We are looking for syllabi that cover a variety of disciplines, course levels, and topics. With that kind of diversity we can provide a rich foundation for analysis and comparison. Click here to start uploading syllabi!  Right now we’re only in the the first phase of the project. Once we’ve collected enough of you and your colleagues’ syllabi, we’ll use visualization tools to assess how courses are structured around particular reading materials. As those visualizations are made public, you’ll be able to identify popular modules, sequences, and relationships within disciplines and juxtapose these with other disciplines. This will enable you to analyze pedagogical trends both within and outside your field and gain a critical awareness of pedagogical strategies and texts deployed across academia.  However, don’t worry about your personal information showing up any where in these visualizations.  Any personal information (name, email, etc.) that is included on the syllabus you upload will not be included in any textual analysis or visualization. All of the personal information included in the syllabus you upload won’t be retained in the database. This is not part of the project and we respect your right to privacy.  We hope that you will contribute to this project!

Figure 2. The Syllabus Project.

That brings me to my other current project: for the past few months, I have been re-designing the JITP website to make it more mobile-friendly. The new JITP website will be responsive and ADA compliant – an exciting and important improvement over the current design. It will also feature a new section called “Blueprints” that Leila had discussed in her last post. We hope to unveil the new website within the next two months.

I look forward to all of the wonderful things in store for the journal this coming year, and am extremely grateful for the opportunity to join the Collective as Managing Editor!

Tags:

'This Week in Digital Humanities and Pedagogy' has no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.

*
To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture. Click on the picture to hear an audio file of the word.
Anti-spam image